In an effort to get more organized, and more done, I read Time Management for System Administrators and started implementing the strategies found therein. One of those strategies was to lay out goals, especially long-term goals. After reading the section on life goals, I realized that I didn’t have any real, definable life goals. Not having goals, or at least goals that were clearly defined, sure makes it hard to achieve them, so, I’m fixing that glitch.
Sometime, before I die, I’d like to know some stuff, see some stuff, do some stuff and own some stuff. Here are some lists to lay that all out for me, and you.
Things I’d Like To Know:
- CompTIA Security+ certification
- Cisco Certified Network Associate
- Certified locksmith
- How to drive a motorcycle
- How to weld with torch and arc welder
- How to drive a semi
- How to prepare sushi
- How to cook Thai food without a cookbook
- How to take professional-level photographs
- How to speak Japanese
- How to speak Mandarin
Things I’d Like to Own:
- Digital SLR Done!
- 9mm semi-automatic handgun
- .380 caliber semi-automatic handgun
- Brand new hybrid car or SUV
- Solar powered backup for house
- Professional-quality, large-format photo printer
- High-resolution digital picture frame
- Home gym/Nautilus/weight station
- Really good macro lens Done!
- Ring flash for really good macro lens
- Better than average tripod Done!
- Camera bag that’s ergonomic and easy to carry Done!
- Wireless remote for the new DSLR Done!
Things I’d Like To See/Do:
- Write and publish a novel
- See Tokyo
- Stay at least one night in a capsule hotel
- See Hong Kong
- See the Louvre
- See Rome
- See tropical islands
- Qualify for and join the SFWA
- Have sex in the ocean (some goals are loftier than others!)
- Get married again
- Replace the ugly shed in my back yard with a Japanese teahouse
- Catalog and inventory my entire “library” into an easy-to-use database, preferably using the Dewey Decimal System
- Get debt free, outside of the house note, and live that way, but well
- Redo entire home network with OpenSource software and secure wireless
- Have multiple streams of income requiring little or no active intervention
- Reestablish weight of 180lbs. of lean muscle and maintain it
- Produce art at a semi-professional level
- Visit Amsterdam and rent a houseboat (I saw someone’s Flickr stream who’d done this and it looked super fun)
- Visit Paris and maybe even rent a houseboat there, too
- See Der Drei Konige, my family’s former inn/bar in the old country (someone else owns it now, if it still exists)
Oh, and I’ll update this as I go. Goals change. Some are achieved and more are found.